Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I feel SPECIAL

Sometimes small things can be SO SPECIAL. And no, on this occasion, I'm not talking about diamonds or Tiffany boxes.

I'm talking about an exquisitely handmade Christmas card. And if I was a very good blogger I would have photographed it and uploaded the photo but it is late, I'm tired so you'll just have to trust me that is gorgeous.

It arrived in our letterbox, and that is no mean feat considering the current postal strikes, all the way from a snowy spot on the West Coast of the USA.

So it was handmade, someone was organised enough to post it WEEKS ago and both of those things are amazing but it was the words that were SO SPECIAL. And I hope the author of them won't mind but I just have to share.....

"I screwed up on your blog somehow and then lost it so haven't kept up. I miss your emails!"

She lost my blog link. Oui! How could that be anything other than a national emergency?? And then the card continues.....

"I miss you so much and wish, as always, we lived closer. The years seem to fly by, but you have remained a constant in my life. Thank you, friend."

And I cried. And not just teared up but really cried. Let it all out and howled. Those three little sentences made me feel SO SPECIAL. I haven't emailed the dear sweet author of those words anywhere near as much as I should have, I haven't picked up the phone very often to say hello, I haven't jumped on a plane and gone to visit (not that I wouldn't LOVE to!) but despite my infrequent contact and when she does hear from me, my mutterings and blabbing is always so 'kid-centric', the author made me feel like I've made a difference.

In the world of suburbia, it is hard to feel like you are making a difference. It's like Groundhog Day - same stuff, different day. Same bag packing, lunch making, grocery shopping, dropping off/picking up, attempting to put something edible on the dinner table, bit of work thrown in for good measure, screaming munchkins and general all round perpetual fatigue. But despite that, those few little words made me feel ten feet tall.

To the sweet author of those words - THANK YOU! You reminded me that since 1995, you and I have covered a lot in life 'together' despite for the most of it being half the planet apart. And yet after all that has been thrown at both of us emotionally, medically, financially and in every other way possible, we can both be so grateful for what we've got and where we are. Thank you for making me feel SPECIAL and for being so SPECIAL to me. Love you 'girl'! M x

1 comment:

  1. And now I am speechless dear friend. Thank you....I love you and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete